We, the People of the Líl’wat Nation declare that our land and rights as a Nation have never been relinquished by ourselves. The Creator placed us here on our land with the right to self-determination. The right to self-determination and the right to exist as a people is sacred in our way, and we believe we have that right.
Canada’s unilateral action in patriating its constitution without the consent of the Indian people and its blatant disregard of rights to self-determination of Indian People is regarded by the Líl’wat Nation as a bold and callus act against sovereign people.
To ensure the protection of our Lil’wat Nation against any aggressive action by another nation or infringement by any colonial power or government,
WE, THE LIL’WAT NATION THUS SHALL AND FOREVER MORENEVER AGREE TO ASSIGN OUR RIGHTS TO ANY PERSON OR COLONIAL POWER OF GOVERNMENT, THUS:
- We will not be invitees to a conference where our rights as a sovereign people is to be discussed. Our attending such a conference will be as equal participants.
- Lil’wat People’s participation must be full, equal and ongoing at all levels of discussion whether preparatory or otherwise.
- Our representation will be chosen by our people and not by anyone or by any other colonial power or government.
- No decision affecting Lil’wat Peoples’ rights shall be made withut first receiving our consent and bearing the Lil’wat Government’s seal.
- Lil’wat people will decide how our consent is to be given.
Signed by: Chief Leonard Andrew